Sunday, July 27, 2008

Bits and pieces

"We live in different realities".

"Here it's all about individualism. In Guatemala, when the town sees a woman and her family in need, we give her anything she does not have that we do. It's not like that here and that's why I don't like it, that's why I want to go back".

"They think we are happy to just have work. They say 'oh at least they are making some money'. No, we are not happy. We just absorb the pain and deal with it because we need to provide for our families. We are not happy with this work".

"We are not working for ourselves. We are working for our families back home. When we come here to the US and cross the border, we are not thinking about how we are thirsty or if la migra is going to get us or if a snake is going to bite us. You can't think about those things. All you can think about is your family and you do it for them. You keep crossing that desert for them, not for yourself".

"You want me to show mercy to those who exploit me? If I show them mercy and love, they are going to keep walking all over me. I cannot afford to show mercy".

"If you do not take the time to understand what is really going on, then you will never really love us. There is no way you can really love us then".

"God says we should love and take care of each other. That is why I always ask you how you are doing. But I am not going to church because in the churches here are the crew leaders who exploit us, who do not want to pay us for our labor. I do not want to be there with them."

"In the Lake Placid slavery case that was busted a few years ago, the people who enslaved the workers had a strong presence in church, they were the ones who were in church every Sunday. The ones who held others as slaves."

"We are not reaching and asking for that fair wage. We demand it because it's what we deserve. Ask for it?? F*** that! Demand it! It is ours!"

"I used to be in school in Guatemala, I was studying to be an elementary school teacher. Now I am here because some of my younger brothers and sisters are in the university studying. I work for them, I came here for them, I work so that they can study. I am the one paying for them".

Bits & pieces of conversations I had this week in Immokalee. These few words do not do justice for the pain and discomfort I have felt many moments this week. They do not do justice for the pain many of my people feel but have learned to absorb and take as a normal part of life. This is a glimpse of their reality.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "F" it attitude! How i stuggle with that also at times. How I use to say to people talkng about God to me to get out of my face because they were such big hypocrites! But Gods word says that the wheat and the weeds grow together even in the church!!! And if one reads, preaches and applies the words of our Lord Jesus it makes the weeds among us uncomfortable! Problem is the wheat is not calling out the sin of the weeds!!! Zoe have faith in our Lord and shine the light of Gods love on the sin around you!! Then people will realize the Good news our lord brings to the oppressed of the world!! Your bro!

Anonymous said...

"we are not working for ourselves..."
These quotes remind me of the life of Jesus. Suffering and dying on the cross for the people he loves. He defeated death so that the people you quote can come to know the Father. I pray the Spirit guides you to bring the gospel to the people around you. They are so much closer to Jesus than they realize.

I love you!

cmb said...

longing to come visit (though hating to leave where I am)... I will probably call you on thursday as I am traveling back and hopefully set up a visit time real soon... te extrano Lorena

Anonymous said...

collision and coalescence.